Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Beef Stew, Enamored Youngins and the Chamber Pot Comeback Tour

It was so nice at the living history event this past weekend. It was the maiden voyage of my new old tent and the first leg of the chamber pot comeback tour. I must say, I love the chamber pot. Woo-Hoo! I went potty at night...slithering out and into my bed, barely opening my eyes!

I spent all day, the day before fixing the darn thing. I'm no wood wizard so it really did literally take all day! However, it was well worth it indeed. The chamber pot, you say? Yes! and that does mean that my offspring didn't accompany me to this event. My daughter was feeling poorly and my son was taking a computer security class. I'm sure the reasons were sound, at least I think they were...hope they were...kinda

I cooked for myself this time! I made beef stew! Because of space issues I used a few short cuts like pre-cooked meat but omg it was so good! Besides the meat the only other foods I brought were fruits and veggies: potatoes, green beans, onions, apples, oranges, peaches, carrots etc. I wanted to make biscuits and breakfast foods but my daughter got sick while we were grocery shopping so we rushed home and I forgot my ice and other ingredients. Oh well, C' est la vie! There's always next time.

Boy was I exhausted! Hauling water all day in 90 degree weather isn't exactly a walk in the park. Check that bucket out! I got it at a Renaissance Faire. Its heavy when it's empty so imagine it full of water! Not only that, my legs are covered with bruises from where the bucket hit my legs while carrying it. Poor me...Poor, Poor me!

One of the more popular parts of the demonstration for the kids is the blue bag. Imagine my horror at experiencing a blue bag malfunction! I was robbed the oohs and ahhs of the usual excited bright-eyed children in awe of the magic I perform, turning clear water to blue. Seriously, the little ones love it. They also love washboards. I have small buckets for the tiny teenies, and my soaking tub for the bigger young ones who pose no risk falling into the soaking tub and getting hurt. They love taking garment to copper and scrubbing away. Its cute, very cute. However, what isn't cute are the magical mothers who disappear, leaving said enamored youngins in Suds Row, and for some reason expect the laundress to play governess! Yeah! Seriously! If you're a mom you understand that although the child has no business trailing you like a duckling, you can't just shush it away and tell it to go find mommy, good luck and have a good life! I never let my kids out of sight and seeing that so many do is frightening!

No comments:

Post a Comment