Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sewing for Dummies

Dang this is cool! You put this thread through this needle thing and you can make really great things! Knock me over with a feather! I'm sewing! No really, I am! Before I said I wasn't going to put up pix of my sad little Sewing-for-Dummies projects but holy heck in a hand-basket! I'm proud of my middle-school level offerings!

I can make skirts! Oh glorious day! I can also make a shirt to wear with the skirt! What do you know about that! I can make it all by myself without calling Mom! Mom is probably elated! I bought a pattern, 2 years ago at a 'getting out of the hobby' sale at the Burton reenactment. It's called the 'Back Porch Dress' by Back Porch Press. I heartily recommend it to all the non-sewers out there. If I can produce a reasonable facsimile of a camp dress anyone can. Trust me, a trained chimpanzee can do it. I can't help being really pleased with myself.

I also got a pattern from 'Past Patterns.' Its a pattern for gentlemens drawers. I know I mentioned it before. Well, pattern in hand, I arrived at Mom's house, eager to learn to make my own laundry. Ends up I just kind of hung out with Mom all day as she studied and complained about the pattern, sending me home the next day pattern, and drawersless. However, the next time I visited there was an almost finished pair of drawers waiting for me. So, I'm like...um I was supposed to do that. The plan was that I was to finish up the drawers, hand sewing the waistband and the fly as well as putting on the ties, and hemming and after that, with that prototype, I was to go solo. So here I sit, on the computer, talking about making drawers instead of actually doing it.

To be fair, I actually started preparing the pattern. So right now my pattern is taped to the kitchen table and I have started to copy the pattern to parchment paper to create a pair of drawers in size 34. Instead of cutting the patterns I copy the pattern. You get the parchment paper on rolls from the grocery store. Its really easy to see through the paper to the pattern and trace it with a sharpie.
So, there it sits as I drink my coffee, play on the internet and sorta watch Supernatural on TV. I suppose I should go and do something productive.

Regards,

Mrs. Peters

2 comments:

  1. Make a new pair, using the already made pair as a guide. Then you can have a change. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,

    Thanks for your comment! Actually I'm planning to make 20 pair, just as, I guess props to hang out on my line, on the grass or on my indoor hedges if need be! Sadly, I'm sewing challenged and find even cutting the darn pattern out a challenge. So, by March, I might have one or two done!

    Highest Regards!
    Mrs. Peters

    ReplyDelete