Thursday, December 29, 2011

Laundressing at the Library

Awesome! My hometown library has invited me to participate in their Civil War events! I'd talked to someone there a while back when I was doing some research and I got a call back. I'm really excited. I posted my excitement on my facebook page and someone I know who works at another library asked if I was interested in doing the same thing at her library. I was just as happy to say yes to that one too! I've always wanted to do winter presentations in schools and stuff and because of the anniversary I'm able to do it!

Every inch of my van is filled with my gear during reenactment season. So now I have to figure out the best way to do a presentation in an incredibly small area.
Over the few years I've added more and more because people are into it. If there is a question that is always asked, I research and incorporate it into the presentation if I can. That's why its grown so much. (The picture at the top of the blog is my laundress domain) There always ends up being a crowd. Seriously, ask any laundress! Whats funny is that once a few people stop more and more are sure to follow. So when you finish the original presentation, the people who didn't hear the beginning hang around to hear it. Then of course more people come in at different points and if you don't take a break you'll end up talking nonstop!

Its nice though, you know, people appreciating what you do. They are very interested in it because its something they've never been introduced to. Most people don't know about the Company Laundress and they want to know more. They love the gear, especially the little kids. It's very hands on, very entertaining.

Paring it down will be hard because the spectators seem so interested in everything and I can't bring everything with me! I guess I'm going to have to start writing and practicing until I can pare it down but still be engaging. Ugh...I'm going to have to dye my dresses again. They're so darn sun faded its shameful.

No comments:

Post a Comment